Thursday, May 31, 2012

Getting Over Garrett Delaney By Abby McDonald

**Review May Contain Spoilers**

Girl likes best guy friend, best guy friend is oblivious and shares all the painful details of his relationships w/ girl. Best guy friend goes away for the summer and meets yet another girl. Sad heartbroken girl meets a new guy at summer job. Best guy friend comes back from summer camp and FINALLY realizes girl is the one for him... BUT WAIT!!! It's too late! Girl likes the new guy and realizes her best guy friend isn't as awesome as she thought he was. Now that he wants her, she's moved on.

Ok how many times can I read the exact SAME book???? It was just like The Lonely Hearts Club and so many others that I've read in the past. But really I think this book could have overcame the fact that the story was unoriginal by being written well, and it just didn't hit the mark for me. The characters were very one dimensional, and of course the girl had to be the typical, I go to parties and don't drink... sorry but that it so fake!! But regardless, that wasn't my big issue, my big issue is that the story was forced and unoriginal and the characters were like cardboard (thanks Julie). Would probably be an awesome book if it was set in 7th grade, I think the writing is more for that age.

Add it to your To-Read List (or don't)

RATING:










How I got this book: Library
Date Published: 1/24/2012

2 comments:

  1. I am in total agreement with your review. I was looking forward to this book, but my reaction was so similar to yours. It just felt like I had read this exact same storytime MULTIPLE times! (I ended up skimming a bit, I must admit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad it wasn't just me!! I skimmed some too because I already knew EXACTLY what was going to happen! So fustrating!

      Delete