Monday, April 29, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday- Titles I Can't Resist

Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (April 30th) I'm one of them :)


Today's Topic:

Top Ten Words in a Title That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book



1.  Diary- any title with the word diary or diaries in it and I must have it.  I guess I just like to read other ppls diaries!

Examples: The Nanny Diaries, The Princess Diaries




2.  List- put the word list in the title and you are guaranteed to get me interested... I must know what these lists consist of!!

Examples: Hate List, The List, The Boyfriend List

Bonus: Jessica Darling's It List #1 comes out in September and you KNOW I gotta have it!



3.  The Truth About.... -any title that proclaims to have the truth about somebody or something just gets me somehow.

Examples: The Truth About Forever, The Thing About the Truth, THROWBACK: The Truth About Stacey (BSC!!!)




4.  Confessions- Everyone likes to read about confessions right???

Examples: Confessions of a Shopaholic, Confessions of an Angry Girl




5.  How To... -Fiction books that start with How To intrigue me.

Examples: How Not to Be Popular, How to Save a Life, How to Be Bad




6.  First and Last name of a person in a title- I feel like I know the person already and I want to know more...

Examples: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door




7.  Club- I've always been obsessed with clubs since I was little, so when I see a book about a club, I'm all in.

Examples: The Lonely Hearts Club, The Karma Club




8.  Secrets- I must know these secrets!!!

Examples: The Secret Life of Prince Charming, The Secret Year




9.  Numbers- Any title w. numbers will usually get me.

Examples: 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, Ten Things We Did (and Probably Should'nt Have)




10.  _____ and the _____ - I have no clue why I like books with these titles and they're kind of hard to explain so just look at the examples.

Examples:  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Anna and the French Kiss, The Ghost and the Goth



So what are your top ten words or topics that instantly make you want to read that book???

26 comments:

  1. I love lists, how to, and numbers too! Now I'm going to go to Goodreads to look up these books, because I love all the titles! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/04/29/topicsword/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got to confess my love for books with titles with the word confessions in them!! And lists, diaries, etc. I think you're the only one who knew my obsession :)

      Delete
  2. Girl, you should read Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. It's in diary format, and the first page of the first book starts with a list: 6 Things that are Very Wrong with my Life. (#6: I am very ugly and need to go to an ugly home.) They are absolutely hilarious.

    I also love ___ and the ____ titles. They sound so official!

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes that's what it is, they sound official!!!

      Delete
  3. This list is really good! (Mine is very superficial.) I wish I would have thought of a lot of these. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list. A lot of them I haven't read yet or even seen. I'm off to check them out. :D

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you included a Babysitters Club book in here. I remember I used to devour those! Great list!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BSC was AWESOME!!! I love books from my childhood!!

      Delete
  6. Awesome list! Sounds like you are a very curious person :) It's fun to be nosy without REALLY violating anyone's IRL, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL in my book life I guess I am pretty nosey!! I never thought of it that way :)

      Delete
  7. Clubs made my list too! I also do enjoy a book about diaries and lists. I didn't even think to add those! Great list :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very comprehensive list. I have completely different words on mine, didn't think it through as methodically as you have.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh! I like diary's, secrets, and confessions! All great topics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are one nosy person. I like it, so am I. I never thought about the list one, but I am so with you on that. Thanks for visiting my TTT.

    LisaILJ @ "I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great topics! I love this list!! So many of these books I've actually read and loved. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what an awesome list! I especially love diaries, lists, and first and last names in the title! These are all great topics!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just realized that I actually haven't given much thought to any of the title characteristics you mentioned before o.O Though thinking about it I agree, there's something about numbers. They make me want to pick up a book to read the description, even if the topic ends up not interesting me that much. With names it really depends on the rest of the title. And I just realized that I actually own a couple of ____and the____ books! Ghost and the Goth is fun ^^ I need to by the third one already...
    Thanks for sharing your list, and for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an awesome list!! It didn't occur to me when I was doing mine, but a lot of the ones you mentioned are consistently on my TBR. Especially Confessions and How To's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this TTT topic! Such a good idea. Also, totally agree with your list, especially about books with "diary of." Authors and publishers should consult this list when they're trying to come up with titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and they totally should bc I know for sure I would buy them :)

      Delete
  16. What a great list! I really like the way you've set it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you thought out of the box for this one! How To in fiction is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, I love your list! I never realized but I totally love the _ and _ books and books with confessions, secrets and characters name...gimme now! Awesome list, really =D

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I love that you specifically chose words and phrases from titles of books that grab you. I have to say I agree with your choices though none of them have ever occurred to me before! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that your list is all about titles, really interesting.

    ReplyDelete