Friday, May 10, 2013

52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody

Lexington Larrabee is living life as a socialite; going to clubs, shopping, traveling, crashing expensive cars, drinking and causing scenes, planning vacations, and waiting on her $25 million trust fund to kick in.  But her bad behavior may have just went too far.  She's just landed in daddy's doghouse, and it's not a place you want to be.  Now in order to get her trust fund and freedom from the Larrabee media empire, she's going to have to work 52 low paying jobs in 52 weeks or risk being completely cut off!! 

If that's not bad enough, daddy's hired an brown nosing, intern, babysitter to keep tabs on her.  So Lexi decides that she's got to suck it up and show everyone who expects her to fall on her face that she's more than just a pampered princess... but these jobs are hard for someone who hasn't worked a day in her life and wasn't planning to!!




I can't believe this is my first Jessica Brody book.  Well I assure you it won't be my last!  I flew through this book because it was so entertaining.  Lexi isn't exactly a character that you fall in love with right away.  She's sort of bratty and definitely spoiled.... but she has this really funny/snarky voice that even if you don't agree with what she's saying, it's like a friend is telling it to you.  She's funny and like a fish out of water, but I couldn't help giving her credit for trying.

You find out pretty early on in the book that Lexi's relationship with her father is less than ideal.  He's always sending his employees to stand in for him in important fatherly moments and when he is around it's usually a part of a publicity thing.  They don't talk and never really have.  That alone made me feel bad for Lexi and had me understanding exactly why she was the way she was.  I actually expected someone raised in her situation to be worse.  I could see a real person with real feelings inside of her bursting to get out and it made me sad for her.

I wasn't 100% sold on the romantic relationship just because I felt it was a little obvious from the get-go.  (And I don't like guys with sticks up their you-know-whats even if they do change in the end.) 

Overall: So cute, funny, witty, adorable!!  A definite must-read for anyone who wants a break from the darker, emotional stuff that a lot of YA books are.  It is a truly entertaining read and I totally recommend!  And wouldn't this be the cutest movie??  It's like Billy Madison met Nicole Richie!

This Book Contains:
  • An heiress
  • A small dog
  • A trust fund
  • Wigs
  • Father/daughter relationship issues
  • A faulty vacuum
  • Cute/funny video status report transcripts

Add it to your To-Read List!!

My Rating:


4/4

How I got this book:  Library
Date Published: 4/3/2012


4 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm glad you really enjoyed this one, I did too! This was also my first Jessica Brody book, but I'm excited to get my hands on My Life Undecided. You're right, I enjoyed Lexi's funny/snarky voice even if I couldn't agree with her all the time. :) Great review!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually read any Jessica Brody, but I really want to read this one. It sounds like pure entertainment which I'm kind of dying for right now. Who doesn't love some snark from a character?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first Jessica Brody too. And really loved it! Glad that you also enjoyed it! The video reports were totally entertainong! :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want to read this book so much! I read Unremembered by Jessica and I thought it was brilliant!

    Charlie xx

    ReplyDelete