Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday- Books I Read to My Child

Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (May 28th), I'm one of them :)


Today's Topic:

My Favorite Books to Read to My Son

 
 
Today was a Freebie Topic Day, so I decided to get away from books that I read for my own enjoyment and share with you guys the books me and my son, Cole, like to read together (he's 5).
 

 
  • The Cat in the Hat & The Grinch Who Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss- Can't have a children's book list without Dr. Seuss.  The Cat in the Hat was my personal #1 favorite book as a child, so I wanted to share it w/ my boy... and The Grinch is just awesome!
  • The Elephant and Piggie Books by Mo Williems- These books are so cute and witty and fun.  My son is mildly obsessed.
  • Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion- I don't remember reading this book when I was little, but it's been around for a while, so I would think I would have.  Anyhow, my son loves dogs, so this is a favorite.
  • Mr. Men books by Roger Hargreaves- My son is hooked on these books!  They're really fun and usually involve the characters going for walks in the woods for some reason.  We own about 10 of the different guys, but I'm sure we'll be adding more soon.  If I had to choose one, I'd go with Mr. Messy.
  • When Charlie McButton Lost Power by Suzanne Collins- Yes Hunger Games lady wrote a kids book!!  It is so darn cute too.  It's about a little boy who can't play any of his electronics when the power goes out.  Instead he learns to use his imagination and ends up liking it.
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime by Bob Shea- I just like this one because SPOILER: Bedtime WINS!!
  • The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf- A classic, and a really special book.
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi & Ron Barrett- My boy really likes this one because it cracks him up to think of food falling from the sky.  The pictures in it are pretty cool too.
  • Robert the Rose Horse by Joan Heilbroner- This one is a newer one for us, but we've been reading it a lot.  There's a lot of sneezing in it which is fun when you're reading aloud.
  • The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister- A really pretty book with a really cool lesson.
  • Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle- This was our #1 favorite book for the longest time.  We don't read it as much now because Cole is getting a little old for it, but it is an awesome book and I recommend it highly!!!
So there you have it... those are our favorite books to read at bedtime!  What did you guys love to have read to you as children, or if you have kids what are their favs??

19 comments:

  1. I loved The Rainbow Fish when I was little (the illustrations were so pretty) and The Story of Ferdinand is so sweet! :) My TTT is Fictional Places I’d Love to Vacation: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/05/27/vacation/


    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute topic! I don't have kids but I used to love reading the Skippyjon Jones books to my elementary students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have kids but I when I was little I loved Dr. Seuss and Three Little Kittens. Now my nieces love them, and they have all of the Mr. Men books. They also love Fancy Nancy and my oldest niece is starting to read on her own and she's loving the American Girl books, which I also loved. Great topic!

    my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely topic. I work with children so I'm very aware of some of these books. I love reading Dr. Seuss to the children and I personally loved Mr Men when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I'm so happy you did this topic since my baby boy is due in about 2 weeks! I'm always looking for books to add to his library. :)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of these are favorites at my PreK-2 library. We also love Little Pea, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and I Love My White Shoes.

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of Mo Williems books, theyre hilarious. and speaking of white shoes... I saw the CUTEST pair of white BCBG heels at Macy's yesterday and I'm still obsessing. Anyway that's kind of off topic...

      Delete
  7. Such a cute list! So many classics and books I too loved as a kid!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  8. THE CAT IN THE HAT is such a fun read aloud! I love reading it and so does my daughter.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so many classic good books on your list! As a kid I completely LOVED Harry the Dirty Dog and Ferdinand! I can't wait to read them one day if I have kids too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great list -- I loved so many of those books. My favorite book to read to my kids was Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun topic! I read a few of these with my daughter long ago, like Dr. Seuss, Rainbow Fish, Cloudy, and Harry. And what a treat to find out that Suzanne Collins wrote a picture book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great topic and great list! I wasn't read to as a child, probably because I wouldn't let anyone else hold the book :), but my favourite children's book now is Dr. Seuss's "Oh, The Places You'll Go". It's got one of the best messages of any book I've ever read and it's so much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great topic and list! Mr. Messy is definitely the best. Oh, and Mr. Tickle, 'cause you can tickle along. The other one that is great for my now-eight-year-old nephew was Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back, but I can't remember when we first read it together -- there's a slight discussion of lion hunting that might be a little much for a five-year-old.

    I did my TTT on books about people who read. Yay freebie week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven´t read any of those. Nice list and topic!
    Thanks for stopping by My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was my favorite!
    Also, I love to read Elephant and PIggy in my school-age storytime. I usually am one character, and one of the kids reads the other. Everyone gets such a kick out of it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is freaking genius. I love it and it makes me want to eat pancakes!! Elephant and Piggie books are too much fun. I think I like them more than Cole does lol.

      Delete
  16. What a fun topic! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! How the Grinch Stole Christmas.....I love that book!!

    ReplyDelete