Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday- Book Turn-offs

Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish.  Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (October 1st), I'm one of them :)





Today's Topic:

Book Turn-Offs



So this is a topic that I suggested to the Broke and Bookish girls... and they actually chose it :)  I was very excited to be able to give an idea to my favorite feature!  Anyway here are the things that totally turn me off when I'm reading a book:

1. 

-Can we talk about teen talk please??  You know when you are reading a book and the author is trying so damn hard to make these teens sound like actual teens.... except the author has no clue how teens talk and is just making them say insane things??  If you are an author, figure out how teens actually talk and don't make up ridiculous slang.

For Example: In the book The Lonely Hearts Club By: Elizabeth Eulberg, the character says "What to the evs".  Ummm??  No.  Just no.



2.

-I can overlook one misspelling.  But if poor grammar and spelling are catching my eye more than once or twice while I'm reading, I'm pissed.  Books are supposed to have editors for a reason!



3.

-I am really getting sick of the same tired stereotypes and cliches in YA.  The one that's been the most recent turn-off for me is:  All popular kids are mean and evil.... all geeky kids are really cool, interesting, nice, and awesome.  It's just not true.  I'm all for an underdog, but can we get over the fact that all the geeks deserve to be put on a pedestal?  Believe it or not there are nerdy-types that are mean too!



4.

-For instance, when it is SO DAMN OBVIOUS that a guy is in love with the M/C and she acts like she has no clue.  Turn-off.



5.

-Michelle really does not like to read third person perspective books.  She doesn't feel like she can relate to the character as much.  Or at all.



6.

-Don't tell me how the characters are feeling at every moment.  Don't tell me every move and thought and feeling.  I want to be able to feel it myself without having to be told.



7.

-Whiney characters are the worst.  I can't stand to hear someone whine about their life.


8.

-Names in YA are getting out of control.  I don't like when everyone in the book has to have an odd name.  Especially when it's contemporary.  It seems completely unnecessary.  I get that authors want their characters to stand out... but by having all your characters walking around with ridiculous names, they aren't standing out in a good way.


9.

-Even though in real life I have a pretty bad potty mouth, I don't like excessive swearing in a book.  I have no problem with swear words in books, but I like them to be used with a purpose.  For instance, in The Duff by Kody Keplinger the characters swear when they're just talking about the weather.  It means nothing to me if you're saying it every other word.  Say it for emphasis!


10.

-Very rarely is there a party in a YA book that doesn't make me cringe.  Either you have parties where everyone is eating chips and drinking pop (which come on, that doesn't happen).  Or you have parties like from the movie Can't Hardly Wait (which come on, those don't happen).  Why can't we get some more parties like the ones I actually remember going to.


Other turn-offs that almost made the list:

  • Bad Parents- ones that are either absentee or ones that treat their kids like crap.  I don't like em.
  • Insta-Love- ICK!  And I rarely will ever go for a YA couple that meets during the span of 1 book saying "I love you" to each other.  STOP saying I love you to people after a week!!  It's SO annoying.
  • Hipocritical Characters
  • Obsessive Guy Characters- ones that "can't live without" the girl... stalker!!!
  • Constant Label Dropping- This is especially true if the book is set in NYC.  Not everyone in NYC has to wear Gucci shades and an Alice + Olivia dress.
  • Inconsistencies- I swear I can spot inconsistencies from a mile away, so do your homework.
  • Constant Recapping- A little is ok, but some books go WAY overboard on catching people up.
  • Rushed Endings


So that's my list.  What are your book turn-offs??




21 comments:

  1. YES! I nearly had Weird names on my list. And names I can't pronounce... that I find very annoying. And yes to every single one of the other turn-offs that nearly made the list! Those are ones that I subconsciously have in mind whenever I read a book. Great list!

    Kate @ whYAnot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write exclusively third-person and am really weary of the first-person trend. Personally, I don't see why some people think it's old-fashioned or doesn't connect them to the characters. For me, third-person omniscient is the most deeply personal POV possible, with so much creativity and flexibility. First-person has become so overused that it's hard for me to relate to the narrators, as they all start to blend together after awhile.

    I agree about daft names and nicknames. You can use an uncommon name without making it daft or made-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dont like weird names too
    heres mine http://caitstruelife.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-book-turn-offs/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree so much with many of your turn offs also. Spelling errors are horrible, and once you notice one, you notice them all !

    Check out my TTT here: http://adventuresofateenagebookworm.blogspot.ie/2013/10/top-ten-tuesday-book-turn-offs.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting your suggestion selected! I've seen weird names mentioned on a couple other posts and I hadn't thought about it before...but in Ruby Red, as soon as a character was introduced as Gideon, I KNEW he was the love interest. And I wasn't sure why it was so screamingly obvious to me, but after seeing this on a couple posts I've come to the realization that perhaps it was the name. When you've got a name like that in our universe, what other role would he play in the book seriously? Although the name doesn't bother me that much. Except that it reminds me of an owl. Don't you think Gideon would be a good owl's name?

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN to that list!!
    teen talk- omg it kills me! i mean, seriously... what to the evs are they thinking??
    spelling errors- drives me insane! does no one read these books before publishing them?
    stereotypes- ugh. yes-- the jocks, the geeks, the freaking gay best friend.
    constant swearting- hate this. i don't mind a few here and there to assist with emotion, but F this and F that every other sentence sucks. i just read the first 2 books in gena showalters alice in zombieland series--- not a single curse word, yet i felt the anger/jealousy/etc just as well as any other book i've read! it isn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad parents kill me so it had to make my list but I can see how it got bumped from the top 10. Hard to argue with what you listed.

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually savour bad character names. They've got me through some really bad books simply because I giggle every time the protagonist is mentioned. I do hate telling rather than showing though - an editor should be able to help an author fix this. Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have a MEHHHH with 3rd POV. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice list! That teen talk example is just a big NO. Do people actually say that? And whining/constant complaining drives me bonkers. Like, I get that you have a problem, but you don't need to tell me a bajillion times. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh spelling/grammar errors drive me insane! And yeah, bad parents or absentee parents make no sense to me!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree on dumbs girls. Why can not writers create characters that seem more real???? Stereotypes is also something i hate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should write all your reviews in 3rd person from now on :)

    I've seen weird names mentioned on a bunch of lists and I totally wish I would have thought of that one. Sometimes I even rename characters in my head so I don't have to think of some stupid name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is hilarious. I'm going to start renaming characters too!!!

      Delete
  14. This is a great list and I agree with so many of these! Another one that gets me, in addition to the dumb girl and stereotypes, are when the female character is constantly blushing. Not everyone blushes every two seconds...*sighs*

    My TTT is here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weird names is a great one! I sometimes understand weird names in dystopian novels because the society is supposed to be completely different from ours, but still... names have to be somewhat relatable or I will forget who the character is. Great list!
    Check out my TTT list: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in absolute love with your list! Teen talk is a pet peeve of mine because they make my eyes hurt from all the eye rolling I do. Dumb girls, A-FREAKING-MEN! I basically figure that she really doesn't deserve love if she's that stupid. I can't believe I forgot to put too much swearing on my list because that's a big no-no for me as well. WELL DONE parties are okay, but like you said, the parties they put in nowadays are bleh. And I used to really enjoy 3rd person, but kinda sigh when I start a book and realize it's not 1st.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome list! We have a few of the same. I can't stand the grammar or spelling mistakes in books, I mean I'm not a genius but come on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spelling and grammar errors are the reason why I've almost completely given up on self-pubbed books. When I got my first Kindle a few years ago, I went nuts downloading free e-books, and I was appalled at the terrible quality. There were a few, and I mean, A FEW, diamonds in the rough, but not nearly enough to make me want to wade through any more garbage to find them.

    That's so funny about weird names. I suppose it makes sense in fantasy settings, but when bizarre names are used in contemporary novels, it's hard not to laugh.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oy, some of the teens in books talk SO ridiculously. Do the authors really think we're like that? What to the evs? I admit I say some pretty weird stuff but I have NEVER ever ever in my life said what to the evs.

    ReplyDelete