Monday, November 18, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday- Books I'd Recommend to Teen Boys

Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish.  Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (November 19th), I'm one of them :)



Today's Topic

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend to Teen Boys









  • 1.  Harry Potter by JK Rowling- I've said it before, but this book is for EVERYONE!  And certainly boys will love reading about Harry's adventures.
  • 2.  Looking for Alaska by John Green
  • 3.  Sleeping Freshman Never Lie by David Lubar- This one is SO boy.  The main character is a boy who is just starting high school... and he's just what you'd expect a 14 year-old teen boy to be: immature.  But he's super funny and silly and awesome at the same time.  Definitely a must for boy teen readers!
  • 4.  How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford- Ok take away the freaking PINK cover.  I have no idea why they put this in such a girly package.  It's not girly at all.  I think boys would totally relate to this book... they just need to put a cover over that pinkness.







  • 5.  It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini- A boy with depression who checks himself into a hospital.  I've never met a guy reader who didn't like this book.
  • 6.  I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga- Son of a serial killer helping to solve murders.  It's fast-paced and funny and gory and scary all at the same time.
  • 7.  Trapped by Michael Northrop- The M/C in this book is guy who is trapped in his high school with some classmates during an epic winter storm.  And it's short, so it might be good for someone who shies away from reading.
  • 8.  Crash and Burn by Michael Hassan- This is 100% boy.  There is no character that captures the mind of a teenage boy better than Steven Crashinsky.  It's a looong book, but it is SO good.
  • 9.  Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
  • 10.  Ashfall by Mike Mullin- It's an apocalyptic book about a boy trying to survive and find his family after the Yellowstone Supervolcano explodes.  It's an adventure that is full of action and is NEVER boring.  It's go, go, go and my heart was racing the whole time.


Ones I almost picked: 
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Winger by Andrew Smith
You Don't Know Me by David Klass
Being Henry David by Cal Armistead
Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer R. Hubbard
Shooter by Walter Dean Meyers


Have you read any of these books?  Actually some of my absolute favorite books ever are on here.  I really like reading books that feature male m/c's.  Who did you make your lists for??  Leave me a link and I'll visit :)




33 comments:

  1. Awesome topic! I almost chose to do one like this too :)

    Great list too. I should definitely recommend I Hunt Killers to my boyfriend!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think everyone should read The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Harry Potter...although for very different reasons. I never actually read It's Kind of A Funny Story, I saw the movie, which I liked, so maybe I should be up the book.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see the movie! I always forget about it. I wasn't IN LOVE with the book or anything, but I've heard a lot of guys talk about it being one of their fav's.

      Delete
  3. I *just* gave IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY to a male friend; hoping it continues to be a never-fail rec!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the first four Harry Potter books from this list, and that's it! However, I'd also recommend the Gone series by Michael Grant and ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake. I think boys would enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this list -great idea, too. I feel like the YA genre can make books seem girly that really aren't. Which is a shame cos the guys are really missing out! M @ Backlist Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Good choices. I have It's Kind Of A Funny Story on my TBR pile. I'm excited to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great List. Some of those books have been on my TBR for so long. I need to pick them up!

    My TTT: http://adventuresofateenagebookworm.blogspot.ie/2013/11/top-ten-tuesday-top-dystopian.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had similar(ish) ideas for ours! Only Harry Potter overlapped though - I haven't read any of the others, somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, oh great, I'll totally come back to your list! My little brother is JUST coming into the age range of YA and not THAT big of a reader. Sooo picky :) He will literally only read a book if it captures him on page one! Ha, he'll totally get a ton of your suggestions for Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really great list and love that you picked ones for guys. Harry Potter should just be on every list for everyone in my opinion! I'm really eager to read I Hunt Killers and Ashfall myself, they both look really great. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to read Crash and Burn. It has been on my radar for so long and I keep forgetting about it.

    Great list. I like you subject person since boys are usually not readers in my experience.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an interesting topic. YA is so often targeted as girls and nearly the whole industry thinks it is girl-oriented, whereas quite a lot of boys read it too. I think we should stop thinking of books as girl books or boy books - reading has no age, gender or orientation. Awesome list and it's great that you are encouraging boys to read YA too.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO agree!!! Boys are missing out so much and it's all because of the way books are marketed and packaged :(

      Delete
    2. There is a Venn diagram to represent boy books and girl books. It's a single circle.

      Delete
  14. Awesome list! I just discovered I Hunt Killers earlier this week, and I'm dying to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good... I hope you like it as much as I did!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. I really want to read Looking for Alaska and all John Green's other books! I have The Perks of Being a Wallflower on my TBR pile, will read it soon! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My TTT Post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't the biggest fan of Perks, but it seems to be one of those must-read books for ppl who like YA. You should definitely read Looking for Alaska! It's so good!

      Delete
  16. Hello!
    Other than Harry Potter (of course) I hadn't read any until I got to Ashfall. So glad it made your list. Mullin is a local author in my parts. He had a great author visit to a tiny bookstore in my old neighborhood last year. I blogged about it at http://bibliophilica.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/a-unique-author-talk-mike-mullin-at-bookmamas-bookstore-in-irvington/ if you'd like to take a look.
    Happy reading!
    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read Ashfall and Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie. I think both of them would be great for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually haven't read any of the books on your list! How to Say Goodbye in Robot is one that looks good, though! I also REALLY need to read Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HP is the only one of these that I've read. I Hunt Killers, Looking for Alaska, and Ashfall are on my TBR list! Thanks for stopping by my post earlier!

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  20. HP is the only one of these that I've read. I Hunt Killers, Looking for Alaska, and Ashfall are on my TBR list! Thanks for stopping by my post earlier!

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  21. How to Say Goodbye in Robot was a really good book. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Harry Potter really is for everyone! Those books are amazing! This is a great list and there are a lot of books here I need to read myself. Great list!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  23. Harry Potter always! I need to read How to Say Goodbye in Robot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How To Say Goodbye IN Robot is the next book up for my book club so I'm glad it's so great :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome list, I haven't read all of these,but I do love HP :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete