Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday- Goals for 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (January 7th) I'm one of them :)


Today's Topic

Top Ten Goals/Resolutions for 2014




1.  Read at least 80 books- I usually aspire to read 100, but it hasn't worked out for the last 2 years.  This year I'm curbing my expectations.  80 sounds do-able.

2.  BEA 2014- It's been my goal since I started blogging and I'm actually going there this year!!!  I've never even been to NYC, so I'm pretty pumped.




3.  Grow my blog- I want to do more personable posts... and I have a lot of ideas.  So here's to a 2014 where my personality comes through a little more on here :)

4.  Self-Host- I'm not sure if I want to go to WordPress or what, but I want to lose the .blogspot.com this year.

5.  Go to more book signings- I'm not sure who is coming to Pittsburgh this year... but if there are YA authors coming here, I'm going to be there.  I'd also like to go to the Baltimore Book Festival cause one of my BFF's lives right in Inner Harbor.

6.  Book Club- I joined a really cool YA book club IRL a few months ago and I really really like it!!  In 2014 my goal is to go to as many of their events as I can.


Other Non-Bookish Goals:

7.  Get a job in my field- I graduated college in August and like I said in an earlier post, I've been pretty insecure about sending out resumes.  I need to stop stressing about interviews and just do them.

8.  Get on a better sleep schedule- I'm a night owl, and if allowed I will stay up all night and sleep all day.  I really need to fix that.

9.  Eat Healthier- No I'm not going to all organic and vegan and all crazy, that's just never going to be me.  I would just like to not eat out as much (because I'm lazy), and when I do cook I want to cook more chicken/turkey and less beef.

10.  Get my son eating SOMETHING besides chicken nuggets- my son is the pickiest eater ever.  No seriously, like ever.  I tried to get him into therapy, but my insurance won't pay for it... so in 2014 my goal is to either figure out a way to fix the insurance issue, or just really try to get through to him myself (which is practically impossible).




I love a clean slate, and I know that the new year is really just a state of mind, but I just like the idea of being able to start over if you want to.  So what are your Bookish/NonBookish goals for 2014??

15 comments:

  1. Yay! BEA is always so much fun. I hope you have so much fun. I'm debating about self-hosting too. Whatever you choose, you'll have a follower in me.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you're going to BEA! I want to go so bad! Author events are so much fun; you should try to go to as many possible! And good goal--that's what I read last year. Good luck!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great group of goals you have here!

    #1 -- I always aspire for 100 too but never seem to make it either. I know I COULD but I find myself not wanting to read that much or getting burnt out. I've also lowered my goal to around 80 as well!

    #2- I HOPE TO MEET YOU THERE! I've been to BEA for the past 3 years and I'm HOPING to do it again this year but it's iffy with my job situation and what not. I'm in Philly so not far so I'll probably still come hang out on the weekend or something.

    I love self hosting honestly! So much more flexibility! Moving to WP was stressful but worth it. Ashley at Nose Graze offers a service to move for you if you aren't wanting to do it yourself like I did. If you are feeling brave, have chocolate, tissues and a good friend who has made the move before (I'll volunteer) to cry to when the shit hits the fan. Because I cried. Mostly things did work out but it was stressful haha.

    I need to work on my sleep schedule this year too! I was so good about it for most of 2013 but have really just fallen off the wagon in the last part of the year.

    Good luck with your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get to see you at BEA too! I can't wait to see all these people that I only know through the blogging world IRL!! Thanks for the rec for the moving service. I would probably need help if I was going to move... and I'll probably cry too!! Glad to know I'm not the only one on a bad sleeping schedule :)

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh at your son and his chicken nuggets! When my oldest was little (like Preschool and Kindergarten), he was the EXACT same way. He would only eat pizza and chicken nuggets. He's really branched out as he's grown and will now eat a whole variety of stuff -- in fact, he never stops eating. So, hang in there! When he's a teenager, he'll be eating you out of house and home :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal last year was 100 books and I finished my 100th book on New Year's Eve!! I was shocked! Honestly though, that was A LOT for me and I think the only way it happened was bc I read a bunch of super addicting series that I binge read! I don't know how people read 300 books a year-- or even 200?? I mean-- whaaaaat?? Who has time for that?
    Very cool you joined a book club!!! We started one last January and it was such a great decision-- we have so much fun!!
    Good luck on all your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I switched to wordpress and started self-hosting in September I believe. LOVE IT! Probably one of my best blogging decisions thus far. If you go for it, talk to Ashley at creative whim. She is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny. I have the exact same reading goal. I thought about going for 100, but it's going to be a busy year and I should really just settle for something more doable. 80 kind of seemed like that more doable. And you can do it! Apply for those jobs! You'll rock the interviews. Good luck on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with all of your goals!! I really wish I could find a YA book club in my area.

    Hopefully I will see you at BEA this year. I went to the RT Convention the past two years because there is a HUGE group of YA authors I love that were attending. I decided I would change things up this year to meet some new authors.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I really like self-hosting on Wordpress (I use Bluehost). I started out on regular Wordpress and then moved to self-hosted so I don't know what it's like to go from Blogger to Wordpress, but I love how much customization there is and I think it's really easy to use (I'm not very technologically savvy!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your goal for #10 made me laugh, but not at you. I have a nephew that is 2 and a 1/2 and he is an extremely picky eater too. My sister makes chicken nuggets for him almost daily (and they have to be the tyson chicken nuggets). I wish you luck with that because I see how frustrating it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific list. I went to college in NYC and it is a magical, frenetic, unforgettable place. You will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck in 2014! My brother is the pickiest eater ever (he's 21) so I sympathise. BEA sounds really, really cool, so have a good time there!

    Good luck with your goal of 80 books! I managed 100 last year but it was SO stressful. 80 does sound a lot more manageable, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interviews can be nerve wracking but just do your research into the company and be yourself and you'll do fine!

    Also if you are looking into going to Wordpress I highly recommend working with Creative Whim to move your blog over. Stress free and very efficient and answers all questions (no matter how stupid) quickly. =)

    And don't stress too much about your son. You can slip in nutrition in other areas that he may not notice. My friends daughter was the pickest eater as a child and while she still is picky at 18 she is much better now and is way more healthy. They kept her active and found other ways around how she wouldn't eat much else but chicken nuggets =)


    My TTT is here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really great goals! I hope to go to BEA, too. My boyfriend is a really picky eater, too, and it's really frustrating (we live together and I cook all of the meals), so I kind of know where you're coming from. I'm sure your son is much worse, though, if you're considering therapy for it. I hope you're able to get through to him!

    ReplyDelete