Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday- Titles That Make Me Run Away

Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish.  Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (July 23nd), I'm one of them :)




Today's Topic:

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT Pick Up a Book



**Basically the exact opposite of April 30th's topic!!


1.

-I don't like books that slut-shame.  It's too judgmental and just wrong.  Unless it's a book that tackles the topic about how it's wrong to slut-shame... I'll read that.

2. 

-I try to stay away from politics in all aspects of my life because they either anger me or bore me... so I'm really not going to be into reading a book that talks a lot about politics.

3. 
 
-Yeah, I'm not feeling it.
 
4. 


-I haven't read any books featuring mermaids, so maybe I'm way off base here, but I just can't see myself digging a book about a mermaid.

5. 

-So what is Steampunk exactly??  I *think* it's from the industrial revolution time period, but has a modern twist to it?  Ok well all I know is I see the word and I run.

6. 

-Yeah I hate to say it, but anymore seeing the words New Adult makes me want to put the book down.  This genre has SUCH potential, but I have seen very little good things come out of it yet.  From my experience New Adult=Erotica and I'm not into that.  If I want Erotica I'll read Letters to Penthouse.

7. 

-I just don't like Science Fiction.  It has to be really special to get me to read it.

8. 

-Played out.

9. 

-Ok so this one is a little harder to explain.  I'm referring to phrases that I see too much in book descriptions.  For example:  So-and-so has her life all figured out until she meets [Insert tattooed bad boy's name here].   BLAH!!!  Or: For fans of The Hunger Games or 50 Shades of Grey... HELL NO!!!  Or: Good Girl Gone Bad.

10. 
 
-This phrase usually isn't specifically written out, but if a description starts talking about a love triangle, I'm bouncing.
 
 
So those were my anti-words.  What are yours??
 
 
 


18 comments:

  1. Great list! I'm with you on pretty much all of them. Just hearing that a novel is dystopian makes me TIRED and cranky. Same with New Adult. I have read a steampunk YA, however, from Gail Carriger and I really enjoyed it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have love triangle on my list too. I wonder how many people are going to list that.. but yet we all still read those books!!

    Angie
    My Top Ten Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should've put politics on my list too. Can't stand reading about politics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list, I also dislike politics and love triangles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the "new adult" genre. I don't understand why we have to have a "new adult" genre at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slut-shaming is the worst, it makes me happy to see it on people's lists (I still can't believe I forgot to include it in mine eeek) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I hava always had trouble understanding what Steampunk was exactly too! And I agree with pretty much everything (I do find dystopian and sci-fi intereting, though...) :)

    Joana @ Joana In The Sky With Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so mad I forgot about love triangles, I hate those so very much!
    And yes to new adult.
    I saw a lot of mermaids today, I never read any books like that but will have to see why so many people hate them, haha :D

    My TTT
    My DESIGNS blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting! I'm sad to see you're not impressed with New Adult. We authors need to do better, I guess! Have there been some NA reads that rocked your world? These could be classified as upper YA, but I've adored Colleen Hoover novels and just devoured The Sea of Tranquility. I also loved Easy.

    I'm starting a NA novel involving a little politics, ha ha. Politics can piss me off too, but I'm going to try to be even-handed (good luck with that). It will be a college volleyball romance involving the daughter of the Republican nominee for president and the son of the Democrat nominee for president.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually sounds kind of cool!! I was more talking about Dystopians where you have to read about a new political landscape. New Adult (like Streamline) is great, but I've found it's VERY hit and miss... most people right now are trying to recreate 50 Shades of Grey and be over-the-top erotica and that's not really my thing...

      Thanks for stopping by... I'm glad I got you for my Sizzling Summer Giveaway author :)

      Delete
  10. Steampunk is such a good one, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I do not get steampunk. At all. Politics is another one I wish I had thought of to include. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't stand books with politics either. They're just so boring! It's a wonder I survived through political science class. :P
    Books with slut-shaming isn't really my thing either.
    Great list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your list, I so agree! New Adult really does equal erotica so I haven't read any. Politics, bleh. And slut-shaming? Ha, judgmental to the extreme. It seems to happen a lot in YA.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sooo happy to see slut-shaming in your list. It makes me incredibly angry when that happens. Even if it's said in a non-serious tone, slut-shaming is so vulgar.

    My top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vampires are my favorite! And mermaids are awesome! And I love dystopians! Gah, you're killing me! As for politics--ew, I don't like them either.

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so over vampires too. I got a copy of Holly Black's newest and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll retry in a few years...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dystopians?! I love them to death! But I guess they can get a little repetitive after a while. But I kind of agree with the steampunk. I tried to read a steampunk novel and I just couldn't get into it. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    P.S. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have trouble with steampunk too. I really want to try reading one, but I have so much trouble nailing down the genre, I don't know what to read first? And yes, I used to get really excited for dystopian, but now it's gone downhill IMO as too many wannabes have gotten into the mix.

    ReplyDelete